Overdrive

Monday, June 18, 2012

Take Me to the River by Will Hobbs


Summary
Deep in trouble, deep in the canyons fourteen-year-old Dylan Sands has come all the way from North Carolina to Big Bend National Park, on the Texas/Mexico border, to paddle the fabled Rio Grande. His partner in adventure is a local river rat, his cousin Rio. As the two are packing their boats for ten days in the canyons, six Black Hawk helicopters appear overhead and race across the river into Mexico. The army won't tell the boys what's happening, but they are given a weather advisory: A hurricane is approaching the Gulf of Mexico. Dylan and Rio have their hearts set on their trip and can't give it up. Rio believes that their chances of running into border troubles or a major storm are slim to none. By canoe and raft, Dylan and Rio venture into the most rugged and remote reaches of the U.S./Mexico border. You may well not see another human being during the duration of your trip, the guidebook tells them. They don't, until a man stumbles into camp with a seven-year-old boy. A storm is brewing as the man who calls himself Carlos begs for help . . . and the boy is trembling with fear. (From titlewave.com)

Mrs. Lassley's Review
If  you keep up with my blog, you know that I do not normally read the boy action/adventure books. I like my sci-fi books just fine, but not really the complete action adventure. I really got into this book. One of my favorite things to do is white water raft, although I do not get to do it much. I do not know if I would take a multi-day trip, but with the way Will Hobbs describes it, I just might (without the crazy weather and such). Although there is very little back story, there is not much needed. Dylan and Rio, although they have never met, are pretty much like brothers/best friends from the start. We learn tidbits about them as time goes on, but it never overtakes the story in front of you. Gold star from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment