Overdrive

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate


My students know that I do not normally read books from the point of view of an animal. But I picked this up on a recommendation from another librarian, and I was not disappointed. Ivan is a silver back gorilla who still remembers what it is like to be free. Ruby is a baby elephant who is having to be trained and fighting it. With help from a human friend, freedom is at their finger tips.

Katherine Applegate has written a beautiful book from the point of Ivan. It will open your eyes up to the possibility that animals might understand us more than we think. Every time I go to the zoo I think about the animals being caged up, but I do not think about the fact that some of them are actual being brought in from something worse. I see this book winning a ton of awards and I look forward to sharing it with my kids and students.

No comments:

Post a Comment