Overdrive

Monday, February 4, 2013

What Happens Next??

As a parent, we all want to protect kids from anything bad happening to them or them knowing that there is bad stuff out there. What do you do when it hits your family and there is no hiding it? My best friend dealt with a parent dying in high school, and as her friend I felt helpless. I had no idea what do or what to say.

So many students are going through a parent being sick or they have been sick themselves with something that over the counter medication will not fix. For me, books have always been a place to go to for help.

I wish this book would have been out when she was going through everything. I would have made her a survival kit.



Summary
When Rose's mom dies, she leaves behind a brown paper bag labeled Rose's Survival Kit. Inside the bag, Rose finds an iPod, with a to-be-determined playlist; a picture of peonies, for growing; a crystal heart, for loving; a paper star, for making a wish; and a paper kite, for letting go.
As Rose ponders the meaning of each item, she finds herself returning again and again to an unexpected source of comfort. Will is her family's gardener, the school hockey star, and the only person who really understands what she's going through. Can loss lead to love?
(From Titlewave.com)

P.S. I stayed up until 1:00 a.m. reading this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment