Overdrive

Friday, March 2, 2012

Paintings from the Cave by Gary Paulsen

Summary
Meet Jake who lives in a neighborhood controlled by street violence and fear. He meets a sculptor across the street, and his eyes are opened to another world.  Or Jojo,who's closer to her three dogs than to her foster family. When Jojo tries to help another girl who needs a friend, the dogs know what to do.  Or Jamie, Erik, and Grandpa, who make up an unusual family.

Mrs. Lassley's Review
I will say this book threw me for a loop. I am still trying to figure out the cover. Many of you have read Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. That is one of my all time favorite books. When I picked this up, I did not know what to expect. I will say though, in the end, I love it.

Each of the three stories is about a troubled child and the person (or dogs) that reach out to them to help. At times I found it hard to read because it hurts my heart to hear about children going through this, but I do know that it happens. Although this is not the first book my students will pick up, I cannot wait to share it with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment